A STORIED HISTORY
The Villa By Barton G., a boutique hotel, restaurant and events space, was born as Casa Casuarina in 1930, built by architect, philanthropist, author and political reformer Alden Freeman as an homage to the oldest existing house in the western hemisphere, the “Alcazar de Colon” in Santo Domingo.
In 1937, after Freeman’s death, Casa Casuarina was bought by Jacques Amsterdam, who renamed it “The Amsterdam Palace.” Operated as an apartment building, it housed artists attracted by its architectural curiosity.
In 1992, couturier Gianni Versace first encountered Casa Casuarina. Versace exquisitely restored, expanded, and embellished its features, adding the south wing, the pool and garden areas.
Events impresario/restaurateur Barton G. Weiss took over the mansion in December 2009, imprinting his own signature style on the storied house at 1116 Ocean Drive, reopened as a hotel, restaurant and venue known as The Villa By Barton G.